November 19, 2016

I thought I had you on hold...

Via NME

Hey, hey. It’s been a little while since I had an English post and I need to talk about The xx. I’ve shared some part of this before, but it was in Indonesian language. So here we go...

The first time I listen to them was around 2012, I think. They just released their second album, Coexist, and I found out from one of the bloggers I’m following. She just won’t stop gushing over them and that album so I decided to give it a listen. I remember that I instantly like the song Angels and Fiction, but not more. Around that time I was obsessed with Tegan and Sara (yeah, okay, still) and listening to Coexist was such a different experience that I could not yet comprehend. Haha. I also remember that I once Googled ‘The xx’ only to find out how the female singer look like. I was really curious because I don’t think I’ve listen to a voice like that. I found out her name and that they’re from England. But that was it. So I leave them behind, but still liking those two songs a lot.

Fast-forward to last year. I was on YouTube and this idea just came to my head. I was like, “Oh, I haven’t seen any video by The xx, let’s go watch one of them.” I searched for Fiction and on the top result was their live video from KEXP. I watched it instead of the official music video. And let me tell you, guys… from that moment I fell in love with Oliver Sim and The xx. I started to listen to Coexist again and then started listening to their first album, xx, every single day... Ah, you know, fangirl stuffs. Found out they’re the winner of the Mercury Prize 2010 for that debut album and one of the other nominees are Mumford & Sons, also with their debut, Sigh No More. Damn, two of my favorites.

The exciting part is I’m in the right timing. They were already in the studio last year, when I rediscovered them again, some online articles wrote they will release the new album in 2016, Romy made her Instagram account set for public, confirmed as lineup at Lollapalooza 2017 in South America, then they started teasing… I guess we all see this coming, that they will release something new by the end of this year and/or the beginning of 2017 and that’s exactly what happen. I feel like it’s all happening at once, it’s crazy. They released the single, then performed that single for the first time live on BBC Radio 1, and even played a session of their old songs. And oh! They’re going to perform on SNL today (November 19)! I love their previous album so much, but it took me years to know how much I love it, how much I love their music. And now, I’m finally in the right timing!

The new album will be released on my mom’s birthday (ha!), which is ten days away from mine. :’) And look at that album artwork! Please tell me you also wonder what your favorite band’s next album artwork going to be like. Because I found myself wondering about it at least a few times. Hahaha. Alright, I should stop now. This has been quite an elaborate post about my feelings for them. 😁

Listen to the single right here. I've been listening on repeat, it's beauuuuuutiful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Read the Printed Word!